Skip to main content

More Espresso machine maintenance

Well, I finally got around to getting a replacement control box, and a new pump.  For just over 6 months I’ve been making pour-overs (and enjoying them) – while my espresso machine sat idle.  The control box was behaving erratically, I suspect because of excessive heat within the machine.  Then the vibe pump failed around New Years.

So, I replaced the control box with another Giemme RLO 1E/1S/3C/F, and the pump I ended up replacing with a different one – an MG 071 Fluidotech Oscillating Pump.  This pump is a 70W pump, vs. the 52W Ulka vibe pump – should fill a little more quickly, resulting is shorter cycle times, and hopefully, last longer.  Another really pleasing feature, is that it’s SUBSTANTIALLY quieter!

new-pump

Everything was easily swapped out – and after getting the boiler refilled, everything is working great once again!

I think I might tear it down again though in the not too distant future, and see about rewiring the machine so that I can tidy up the wiring, and relocate the control box in the space where the water reservoir was (I have the machine plumbed in, so no water reservoir is required).

I also found a place where I might be able to get the old control box repaired – would be nice to have a backup that didn’t cost so much!