Skip to main content

Replacement Hinge Bushings

The rear doors on the Jeep were getting pretty stiff and not closing properly, due to deteriorating factory hinge bushings.

Found a company in Canada called TMR Customs that machines delrin bushings for the JK for $50 (for a 4 door JK).  They showed up today, and I was anxious to get them installed.

jeep_delrin_door_hinge_bushings_jk

Last weekend I took the doors off for the first time ever (abt 5years), and they were a bear to remove.  I ended up using a floor jack to lift the doors out of the hinges.  While the doors were off, I removed the hinges from the doors, sanded the bubbling factory paint off them, and then repainted using bed-liner.  Looks pretty good I think. Just have to do the bottom half of the hinges next, but that might have to wait til next spring 🙂

Anyway, this time, the doors were much easier to remove – I was able to just lift the doors off without having to resort to the floor jack 🙂

I drilled out the old metal shims and plastic bushings that were jamming up the doors with a 1/2″ drill bit, cleaned up the pins and hinges, and the new bushings pressed into place nicely.

The doors dropped back in nice and smooth, and the doors are working better than ever!

New wheels!

Well, after almost 5 years, the tires that came with my Jeep have been replaced, and along with the new (to me) rubber, I replaced the alloy rims with a set of Pro Comp steel ones – and I’m no longer using the TPMS valve stems that were in the factory rims.

I think TPMS is a pretty nice feature – however, in the Jeep Wrangler, I think the implementation is pretty flawed.

  1. Only a light saying pressure is low – but no indication of which tire is low.  I had a 2005 Jeep Liberty with TPMS, and it told you which tire was low.
  2. Aluminum valve stems that cannot be replaced without replacing the entire TPMS assembly in the tire.  I had one assembly replaced because the stem had corroded to the point where there were only a couple threads of the needle valve keeping air in – the rest of the needle valve was exposed.  Not a comfortable situation to find yourself in when you’re planning a road trip.

corroded valve stem wheels on! Rubi's got new shoes!

Here’s a shot of one of the tires with the new wheels.  The new tires are the same as original equipment tires –  32″ BFG MT’s.  The new steel wheels are Pro Comp Rock Crawler Series 98 rims in flat black.  I also got wheel caps and new lug nuts, in chrome (the shop didn’t have any black ones in stock).  I think they look pretty good!

Record Cabinet

I’ve had a fairly large collection of vinyl that has been sitting in cardboard boxes for quite some time. Decided to dust off the collection and build some better storage for it. Researched on-line and found some excellent plans from the Audiokarma forum.
VERTGRAIN

 

casterThe casters I used are urethane wheels with precision ball bearings, rated for 275lbs.  Perhaps a little overkill, but they work great!

I used 3/4″ oak veneer plywood for the cabinet, and stained it with a combination stain/poly.

Pretty pleased with the results – will have to build another one to hold the rest of my collection!

Holds about 400 albums
Holds about 400 albums

 

 

a new fridge!

A few months back, our fridge packed it in – fortunately we had a second fridge and figured that we could get by just using the one fridge. Well, after a few weeks, we decided that one fridge was not enough.

So the research began, and after some shopping around, we decided that we would up the budget a bit and had a new Samsung fridge delivered.  Was able to get a next day delivery, so that evening, I ran a new water line into the kitchen to supply the fridge water & ice dispenser.

All was good until I realized that the fridge was not going to fit through the front door (or any other door) of our older house.

Front view of Samsung fridgeSo the fridge was delivered to the garage – and the next day, after removing all the doors and door fronts from the fridge, and the screen & main doors from the house, the fridge was in the house! Great! Until another Homer moment…. the entrance into the kitchen was too narrow as well!

So, out comes the reciprocating saw, so quick work of the entrance and the fridge was finally in place.  It fit perfectly into space where the old one was – but this new one has way more space – almost 26 cu.ft. in a 30″ opening.

A little more work than anticipated, but  well worth it!  Love the space and functionality that the new fridge gives us.