Gecko Upgrades

I received the East 3D Gecko upgrade kit, last fall, and recently I had finally gotten around to tearing down the printer and installing it.  In the process, I also installed some RGB lighting, ceramic heat bed, and the Lerdge power-off module kit as well.

The upgrade kit changes the gantry suspension so that it hangs from 4 points, instead of the original 2 points. It also changes the XY gantry, providing a new rail to make things much easier to square up.

I ended up removing the power-off module after it resulted in a blown fuse in the ac input switch – thankfully the blown fuse protected the main board and power supply.

The ceramic bed is a much flatter printing surface – and is supposed to provide much better print adhesion.  In practice, I find it works really well, provide that you have the surface perfectly clean and levelled from the start.  If either of these things aren’t perfect, you end up with a spaghetti print!

One of the other upgrades I did previously was replacing the stock hotend and extruder with original E3D components.

New Host!

After many years with my previous web host, I’ve now moved everything (I think) over to Web Hosting Canada.

So far the site response has been excellent – much faster than my old provider, which was taking 30-45 seconds to load a page, or log into the wordpress admin console.  I also like the fact that this is a Canadian host, and the servers are in Canada.

 

Current Tank Occupants

Currently, my 55 gallon aquarium has the following:

  • 3 new Denison barbs, about 2″ long
  • 1 old Denison barb, about 4″ long
  • 2 Plecostumus – I rarely see them, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen both at the same time since adding them to the tank.  When I do see one, it is about 3″ long.
  • 3 black tetras
  • 1 Phantom tetra
  • 4 Siamese algae eaters

A few fish have died over the past couple years, and the only new additions since my last stocking post was the addition of the Pleco’s.

The amazon sword plant I have is flourishing.  Can’t say that about the 3 other kinds of plants that I have, although they aren’t dying… just growing very slowly.  I mean very very slowly 🙂

I want to make some changes to the lighting.  The 4′ flourescent tube has quit – and I would like to replace it with some LED lighting.  The lighting needs to be string enough for the plants however – which can make them very expensive.  Debating whether I should just make my own using some outdoor LED floodlights.